GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri May 18 14:06:20 EDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Terry Reedy wrote:
> "D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message
> news:mailman.990198509.15564.python-list at python.org...
>
> > Debian has a lot (>4000 I think) packages.  There are a lot of
> > prebuilt python extensions neatly bundled up into packages.
> > Installation is as simple as the above commands.
>
> Good, my 12-year-plus-old memories of working with Unix have become
> somewhat outdated.  I have been unnecessary frightened by the prospect of
> having to compile.  And for Windows installs that require reboot, the time
> should be about the same.

The only "required" reboot with Linux should be when you change
hardware or the kernel; practically, when you install new core libs
(libc or the xlibs) it is a good idea to reboot if you want them to be
used by all programs (not usually a problem, but the old libs will
still take up virtual memory and disk space).

At least that is my experience with Debian, and what I've heard from
other Linux users.

- Bruce