Using Python in a GIS context

Andrej Kobler andrej.kobler at gozdis.si
Thu May 24 08:06:24 EDT 2001

Hi,

I was looking for some freeware / open-source object-oriented GIS (Geographic information system) of which I unfortunately found none. It would be used for classifying high-resolution satellite imagery by using also semantic information represented in meaningfull image objects and their interrelations.

Is it possible to devise an object-oriented vector GIS database in Python with a small programming effort or is this a mayor task? Has anybody used Python in a similar context (I am aware of Python support for ArcWiev GIS which unfortunately still operates upon non-object-oriented ArcInfo databases)?

Thank you for your answers.

Andrej Kobler
andrej.kobler at gozdis.si