detect terminal width

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 2 09:57:53 EDT 2001

"Bruce Edge" <bedge at troikanetworks.com> writes:

> Without using curses, can I detect terminal row/col settings from python?

Hmm, I posted this just a few weeks back:

This works for me:

def getwidth():
    return getheightwidth()[1]

# Eep!  this next should be made rather more portable (ie. fallback to
# env vars, then tigetstr("lines"), etc).
def getheightwidth():
    height, width = struct.unpack(
        "hhhh", ioctl(0, TERMIOS.TIOCGWINSZ ,"\000"*8))[0:2]
    return height, width

Cheers,
M.

--
  I'll write on my monitor fifty times 'I must not post self-indulgent
  wibble nobody is interested in to ucam.chat just because I'm bored