Why PEP 245??

nanotech at europa.com nanotech at europa.com
Tue May 29 18:20:32 EDT 2001

All:

Could someone explain to me what in PEP 245 would be new to Python in
terms of functionality? I did read it, but must not have understood
it! :)

According to the PEP:

    The purpose of an interface is to document how
    to work with an object, not how the object is
    implemented.

If this is all (or a large part), then why not just doc-strings? With
pydoc documentation is now nicely done.

Basically, without some sort of "compile-time" check that classes
that use interfaces use them correctly or classes that expect other
classes are using an interface are actually doing so, what is the
benefit:

    Interfaces try to solve these problems by
    providing a way for you to specify a
    contractual obligation for your object....

But what enforces the contract?

  Quentin Crain

PS: Where do mixin classes fit? Or have they gone out of style?