Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Sat May 12 13:33:26 EDT 2001

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> what exactly is the difference between Python's call model
> and Smalltalk's message passing?  consider something like:
>
>     spam.egg(bacon)
>
> couldn't this be seen as sending the message "egg" to the
> object "spam"?

Fredrik --
 If you really want to get into *THAT* question, there's a long
flaming argument going on in comp.lang.objective-c about messaging --
particularly whether it's appropriate to call the semantics of
Smalltalk and Objective-C as "message passing" or "message sending"
or whether it's "merely" functional application after dynamic
lookup.
  I *do* think there is a significant difference, however, it's
flying in the face of 20+  years of (mis-) usage, just as "object
oriented" has gotten mired in a lot of inconsistant usage.

 [ I was pushing a compromise position:
    * distinguishing between the methaphor of sending messages,
      and the technical term "message passing"
    * and if objective-c can be said to send any sort of messages,
      then they are sent to classes and definitely not objects.
     ( The case for Python is different becuase it is capable of
       some object specialized behaviour. ) ]

-- Steve Majewski