Why isn't Python king of the hill?

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu May 24 13:33:09 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis wrote:
> While this is certainly a problem, it cannot explain the attention
> that Java gets over Python. When Java was young, debugging support was
> terrible also - yet it got attention from companies developing
> debuggers.

But it was available in the usual browsers. It was hyped as a way of
providing a sophisticated UI on every desktop without the need to deploy
any software. It managed that poorly, but better than anything else out
there.

Once that opened the door, that aspect could go by the wayside. If
python wound up being distributed with both IE and Netscape browsers,
you'd have the same effect.

(I'm particularly amused by how Java 1.0 promised that AWT would be safe
to code to and always around, while Java 1.1 deprecates it and Java 1.2
I don't think is even going into new browsers at this point.)

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
       San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.