Hungarian notation (was RE: variable naming...)

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Fri May 4 21:23:20 EDT 2001

At 20:26 04/05/01 +0000, David LeBlanc wrote:
>In article <mailman.988696623.5322.python-list at python.org>,
>jschmitt at vmlabs.com says...
> >
> > Me personally, I despise it.  If that's "hate by conviction", so be it
> > because I can only guess at what you mean by "hate by conviction".
> >
>FWIW, Charles S. (sorry don't recall the exact spelling of his last name
>- something like Semonie), later publically regretted his development of
>this spawn of satan (my words). Supposedly it's officially deprecated at
>Microsoft, but it's so deeply intrenched in the ego mindset/culture of
>Microsoft that it will be long, if ever, before it no longer afflicts
>programmers.

I think that a little "hungarian-lite" notation has its place. The idea
behind the notation is nice: to have some logic on how to name things, so
when you look at the name, you know more about the item.

I for myself have my own standard: prefixes like p_ (function parameters,
specially if I have some member variable with the same name); str (for
strings); l (for list); and so on. I believe it makes for more readable
code. Of course, it is easy to use it in excess; in this case it becomes
only clutter.

Carlos Ribeiro