Indentation style...

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Thu May 31 08:07:13 EDT 2001

At 08:30 30/05/01 +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> >Were they orginally used back in the days of teletypes as a means
> >of speeding up transmission by compressing several spaces?
>
>I put hacks in to do this for all our code in 1978.  Made huge difference
>at 110 baud lines.  Then we bought a 300 baud modem.  Luxury.

Much later than this - 1995, I guess - I wrote code for a 100 baud modem
(yes, 100, not 110). We needed to emulate some weird old protocols for
remote monitoring of telephone equipment. The original protocol was written
by Telettra in the late 60's, and it was one of the strangest hacks that
I'd ever seen - 14 bits words, synchronous and bus (poll-select) based. The
modulation was pretty simple, so we wrote the emulator using the 'spare
time' of our main 386 controller, by catching timer interrupts and reading
input state; it worked fine after some sleepless nights, because the 100 Hz
clock of the remote modem kept drifting, and we needed to use a much higher
sample rate :-)

Now talk about thread synchronization...

Carlos Ribeiro