Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Wed May 9 23:13:51 EDT 2001

> >> A free and popular Unix would have only had to be compatible with
> >> itself.  DOS, which was the competition at the time, not Windoze 3.1,
> >> was certainly no more compatible with human beings than Unix was.
> >
> >Well, DOS did have a "help" command.
>
> Not that I remember....

Oops. It has also been pointed out to me that "at the time" (i.e. when the
386 came out) DOS did not have "edit" either. I can't dispute this since,
despite my advanced years, I wasn't using DOS (or Unix) then. (I was, as I
recall, using IBM VM, Cray CTOS and some god-awful CDC operating system
which made DOS and Unix look friendly.) Anyway, I admit total defeat and
promise to say no more on this subject.

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]