GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri May 18 07:24:14 EDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> Several other people have provided minor advantages of one platform
> over another, but I have a different opinion....

Some of these advantages are not so minor. Cumulatively, they effectively
condemn certain platforms.

If you go down the lowest common denominator slippery slope far enough
you'll eventually wind up with something duplicating the functionality of
a pet rock.

> Python is so remarkably portable that there is little to choose
> between platforms, if python is your priority. This is true for python
> as a development platform, and for running most programs written in
> python.

This is one of the reasons why I'm using Python in the current project.
However, portability is not the Holy Grail. If some people insist to use
the more braindead platforms, that it's solely their problem, hein?