wanted. english word.

Jonathan Feinberg jdf at pobox.com
Tue May 29 09:03:13 EDT 2001

"Pete Shinners" <shredwheat at mediaone.net> writes:

> [Laura Creighton]
> > What do you call the thing that pops up and says `Searching' or
> > something to reassure the user that his computer hasn't crashed
> > and the application is still running?
>
> a general description is "Progress Dialog"

A progress dialog only applies to a process that has a quantifiable
end; she's looking for something that will take "a while" for some
unknowable value of "a while".  I recommended "hourglass", since
that's what they used to call it in the Macintosh Human Interface
Guidelines (remember when Apple's GUI designs were based on iterations
of user testing and not on glitz and whim?).

ObPython: wxPython does provide an hourglass cursor, but I'd
recommend rolling your own, since you want it to be animated.  There's
a project for a rainy day.

--
Jonathan Feinberg   jdf at pobox.com   Sunny Brooklyn, NY
http://pobox.com/~jdf