Indentation style...

bas.vangils at home.nl bas.vangils at home.nl
Mon May 28 02:42:08 EDT 2001

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:
 * No, no, no! Tabs are 8 spaces. Eight. Spaces. Always. Setting it to anything
 * else is Lunacy! Sure to screw you over, or at least *someone*, sooner or
 * later. If you want to re-indent, your editor can re-indent the code in
 * whatever way you wish, though I would vote against it.

I think we disagree. The trick with a tab is that you don't care / don't know
how "big" it is. Sure, most editors expand it to eight spaces (unless you tell
them otherwise). Personally I like tab's to be displayed as three spaces. Now
that I know that the Python Python style is 4 spaces (not a tab) I might switch
to that

 * Or you can use Tim's
 * lifework, 'tabnanny.py', to do it for you. Personally, for Python code, I
 * think 8 space indents (or single tab indents, if you prefer) are too big:
 * Python code is generally small and concise, lets keep it that way :)

I'll look at tabnanny.py, thanks for the tip :-)

	Bas

--
Bas van Gils <bas.vangils at home.nl>
An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.