who uses Python or Ruby, and for what?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at ute.cnri.reston.va.us
Tue May 1 12:37:20 EDT 2001

On 1 May 2001 00:17:04 GMT,
   ellard2 at is01.fas.harvard.edu <ellard2 at is01.fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>A while ago I posted a request for people to share their experiences
>with using Python or Ruby to implement a sizeable software project
>(i.e.  something that would take 10-20K lines of C and Tcl/Tk to
>write).  I only got three responses, which is not what I was hoping

An interesting question.  I work on a project which requires a Web
site on top of a fairly involved object model representing the
application domain, developed in an XP-influenced style.

Quixote        3802 lines of code
Oscar          4638
Web UI        17714 (this includes Python and PTL code, so as a result
                     it's a bit inflated)
Domain model  34831

That leaves out some things such as the Palm application and the
remote microscope code, and the first 2 prototypes that have since
been thrown away.  The discarded prototypes amount to 1400 lines of
Python, and (15958 lines of Python + 20117 lines of Java).

--amk