Overriding a method in an instance

Martyn Quick mrq at for.mat.bham.ac.uk
Wed May 2 09:36:32 EDT 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Kalle Svensson wrote:

> Sez Martyn Quick:
> > I was wondering what the correct way to change the definition of a method
> > of an instance of a class is.  The following seems to work:
>
> Well, that depends on what you mean by correct.  IMHO, the *correct* way
> would be to create a subclass (or use delegation):
>
> I'm not sure about your situation, of course.  Perhaps you can present a
> compelling reason to change methods on instances without subclassing (or
> delegation)?

OK, the precise situation is that I'm creating two groups of widgets
(each of which is defined as a class which subclasses from
Pmw.MegaWidget) and that I need a way to get them to talk to each
other.  I give the first class a dummy function which I was intending to
redefine to get info from the second class instance.  The situation can be
summarized as follows:

class FirstClass:
    def func(self):
        pass

class SecondClass:

one = FirstClass()
two = SecondClass()

def do_stuff():
    [get info from two and use it in one]

one.func = do_stuff

[Hope that makes some sort of sense.]

Any thoughts?

Martyn

Dr. Martyn Quick  (Research Fellow in Pure Mathematics)
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK.
http://www.mat.bham.ac.uk/M.R.Quick