PIL Gotcha maybe?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed May 2 11:57:55 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> I'm trying to use PIL as a pixmap output of an image stored as a
> string
> and get strange artefacts.
> so that the buffer has certainly got into PIL ok. However, the GIF
> made from the
> image isn't quite right, the green square isn't a uniform colour.
>
> see  http://www.reportlab.com/images/test_renderPM_002.gif

It looks dithered.  I presume that by default the GIF PIL plugin uses
the Web palette; your color isn't exactly represented in that palette,
so it's dithering it in the output.

/  \ I do not like work even when someone else does it.
\__/ Mark Twain
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.