floor() function and mathematical integers

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu May 17 12:52:47 EDT 2001

"Dennis E. Hamilton" wrote:
> I was always pleased that C Language used "int" and "float" and "double,"
> rather than "integer" and "real" as was done in Algol and Pascal.  It could
> be viewed as a tip-off that these are types for implementations, and that
> they are limited in various ways.  I don't know whether that was the
> intention.  I admired the result.

I don't know what the intention was either, but around the time that C
was being developed, it was common to have both "scientific" and
"business" hardware modules. The "scientific hardware module" was
basically the floating point unit, while the "business hardware module"
was the BCD unit. So it's not surprising that there was a distinction
made between "real" and "float" by folks around the time when there were
several entirely different types of "real number" available.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
       San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.