Against PEP 240

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Tue May 29 15:46:50 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:

> >..
> >Naive users are not the only design target but I think that there is a
> >certain logic in preserving the *simplest syntax* for the naive users
> >and using more sophisticated syntaxes for more complicated ideas.
> >

> Only if you want to abandon the past.
>
> If we're forced to use 'f' or 'F' I don't mind. We can do double
> precision in the same way ie use 'D'.

Wait a second. Are you saying that you don't mind if a 5.3 literal is
interpreteted as rational as long as there is an easy way to get floats
with 5.3f? I think everyone would agree that there should be an easy way
to get at floats.

> Are complex numbers, floats and rationals and ints to be freely mixable?

As far as I know. A float is an inexact (and high performance) rational
and a  rational is a complex number without an imaginary part.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.