Windows editor?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Fri May 4 16:31:13 EDT 2001

On 4 May 2001 20:37:10 GMT, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
>  For what it's worth from an intermediate Pythonist, I just use Vim
>(and mostly gvim) <http://www.vim.org/>, and the syntax highlighting is
>quite good.  It runs on many platforms, include that one from Redmond.
>
>  You'll want the following lines in your .vimrc/_vimrc (under windoze):
>:set nocompatible expandtab shiftwidth=4 autoindent
>:syntax on
>
>  It doesn't have full keyword completion unless you make a dictionary
>file for it (which I haven't bothered to do yet), and it doesn't know
>about your code context, but ^N will complete a partial word from the
>same source file, which prevents almost all misspellings.

I can only add that when you add the newest ctags
(http://ctags.sourceforge.net), you have tags for Python, too. If you don't
know what this means (I didn't until recently), I'll try to explain:

Run a ctags -R from time to time in your project directory to update the tags
file. Then you can hit ^] and VIM will jump to the definition of the identifier
under the cursor. IOW, it's the famous "Go to definition" feature of an IDE.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de
web:    http://highqualdev.com