Python, licenses and CVS

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Nov 29 01:34:29 EST 2001

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> writes:

> If this is because it's a Micro$oft shop, Visual Source"safe" is a reasonable
> version control software. Btw. CVS also has deficiencies like no history of
> meta-operations like file moving/renaming, etc.

(minor MS-bash .. Definitely agree on the CVS shortcomings, but but at
least CVS handles branching reasonably)

(...)

> Or use CVSNT (http://www.cvsnt.org/), which is a native win32 CVS server (and
> client).

I'd agree on both of the above points.  We're primarily an MS-shop and
most of our source is in SourceSafe (it really does integrate the best
with the MS tools and certainly provides a nicer interface for most
MS-based developers).

But we also keep some of our large network projects in CVS.  Partially
because the team working on them are Unix-background and familiar with
it but partially since it's really appropriate in some cases (such as
tracking internal versions of third party sources).

While stock CVS can compile under Cygwin (which we also use), the nice
things about CVSNT is that it easily runs as a service without any
shims, and that it supports NT authentication.  So you run it on your
server, and then use :ntserver:.... as your CVSPATH and it uses the
existing NT authentication system.

> There are also nice CVS GUIs for Windows: http://www.cvsgui.org/ and my
> favourite http://www.cvsgui.org/TortoiseCVS/index.shtml which is an Explorer
> plug-in that let's you use CVS from the standard Windows Explorer.

>From my perspective, I haven't been overly enthusiastic about WinCVS
(the cvsgui link), at least not enough to try to promote its use.
It's not bad, but I found the command line much more productive.
Haven't seen the Explorer plug in, so I'll have to check that out.

To the original poster - regardless of SourceSafe or CVS, get
something.  Doing any professional development without source code
control is working without a net.  The benefits are great and the
overhead relatively small.  I can't imagine not using one even for the
smallest of my own personal projects at this point, simply because it
provides so much in terms of functionality over the course of
development.

--
-- David