Fatal Python error: ceval: tstate mix-up

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Nov 8 05:06:43 EST 2001

gb at cs.unc.edu writes:

> I just started (sporadically) getting the above message followed by
> "The instruction at "0x77a7b0fc" referenced memory at "0x0000000c",
> the memory could not be "read" in my python/wxpython-based imap email
> client. I recently added a thread to handle posting messages to the
> smtp server in the background. I'm careful not to touch the GUI from
> the sending thread.
>
> This is with python 2.1 on Windows 2000 with wxpython 2.3.
>
> Any clues on how to track this down? The "Fatal Python error" part
> makes it sound like an internal bug...

As far as I can tell, this is only likely to happen if you are
executing Python code without holding the global interpreter lock.
This is probably going to be a bug in wxPython, but I'm not sure.
Have you got the latest version of such?

This is just guesswork; take with a pinch of salt.

HTH,
M.

--
  This is an off-the-top-of-the-head-and-not-quite-sober suggestion,
  so is probably technically laughable.  I'll see how embarassed I