finding a value in a tuple

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Thu Nov 29 16:58:17 EST 2001

Dan Allen <bigredlinux at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Say I have

> mylist = ['one','two','three']

> which I presume is a "tuple" as I have been scanning the manual.  Now,

it's a list.  A tuple would use () instead of [].  Both are sequnces.

> is there a way to run the php-like function in_array() on this.

I don't know php, but from the example code I guess you're looking for:

  if "four" in mylist:
     print "your value was found"
  else:
     print "your value was not fond"

> Consider this, I want to know if one of the values in that tuple is
> exactly equal to "four".  The answer of course is no, but how would I
> find it.  Here is what I have so far, which works, but it is ugly..

> d = {}
> for value in mylist
>   d[value] = 1
> try:
>   if d['four']:
>     print "your value was found"
> except:
>   print "your value was not found"

> Two question here, is that a bad use of try/except?  Second is, is

I personally would go for the simpler:

  if d.has_key("four"):

> there an array_flip, or do you just have to do what I did above?  I

and what is array_flip supposed to be doing?
--
groetjes, carel