A Python GUI Book.

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Sun Nov 11 14:27:18 EST 2001

Hi group,

I'm currently writing a Python GUI book, where several toolkits
(most likely PyGTK, PyQt, FOXpy, PyFLTK, wxWindows and...
of course... Tkinter) are presented and explained.
My idea is that besides going into some detail of every Toolkit I
construct _one_ application scenario with a skeleton, which I
later complete with each of the toolkits.
This should give the reader the means to choose the toolkit
which matches their personal taste & programming philosophy.

Given this approach, the main question I'm currently trying to
figure out is: What application shall I present? It must be complicated
enough to show some advanced topics (not only presenting a tour of
the widgets and voila...) but at the same time small enough to cover
it within 50 pages or so (remember: for each toolkit!).

I first thought of some contact application - in outlook style - or
some kind of presentation program - powerpoint style - ... here's a plea
for your input.

What do you think would be a good application to show the basics and a few
more sophisticated topics in programming GUI applications with Python?

Apart from this concrete question do you have some topics which you
think should be a _must_ in such a book? Imagine you're a not a total newbie
in python GUI programming... what did you want to read in such a book?

thanks for your input!

Yours,

Mickey.