Converting exponential numbers to strings.

steve steve at clublinux.org
Tue Nov 6 08:17:53 EST 2001

Hi,

> How about this:
>    try:
>       x = float(s)
>       result = 1
>    except:
>       result = 0

Genious.  Short and simple.  I like it.  Thank you.

One more question about string processing.  I've written a small report
formating routine that prints everything as strings.  The reason for
this is that I want to be able to add commas, floating dollar signs,
etc. to the report and printing everything as a string seemed to be the
easiest way to perform such tasks.

I run into the same problem when trying to process the string from
printing when I use the str() function.  Is there another way to convert
a number to a string that will return the number in a non-exponential
format?

(e.g. return .000085 instead of 8.5e-5?)

Thanks again for your help,
Steve