I just got in!

Joal Heagney s713221 at student.gu.edu.au
Fri Nov 9 04:29:56 EST 2001

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> > One thing about Python people is we are less (outwardly ;) smug
> > then your phrase seems to suggest.  Perhaps that derives from the
> > influence of Dutch tolerance in the early days.
>
> That's a nice compliment, though my limited experience on Dutch forums
> makes it seem implausible. :)
>
> I am not sure where the generally nice atmosphere comes from.
> I think the audience is just fairly mature. It may have settled the
> atmosphere early on. Small languages generally attract a more mature
> audience, where the average newcomer has a fair number of languages
> under their belt already, with more knowledge of language theory but
> also language pragmatism. Python is clean and pragmatic enough at
> the same time to be useful for such people. It's where
> theory and pragmatism meets peacefully. Perhaps that's why the
> newsgroup is relatively peaceful as well.

*chuckles* Or maybe it's just that behaviour is contagious. Shout at
others, eventually they'll leave or shout back. Be polite and kind, and
point out that kindness is expected ...

*grins* Of course I HAVE to believe this explanation. Despite being
"officially grown up" at 24, I really can't think of myself as "mature"
by any stretch of the imagination!!!
--
      Joal Heagney is: _____           _____