Finding name for a signal number

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Tue Nov 6 09:14:13 EST 2001

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <olli at secnetix.de> writes:
 > [...]
 > > This works.  However, the above code seems awkward and
 > > inefficient, in particular the eval() part.  Is there a
 > > better way?  Did I miss something?
 >
 > Yes: getattr.

Ah!  Stupid me.  I've read about getattr before, I should
have remembered it.  Thanks for pointing me in the right
direction (thanks to Skip, too).

 > Also your logic seems a touch backwards - why search through the
 > module every time?

Well, I'd need it only once, cause I handle it as a fatal
error when a os.system() command is aborted by a signal.

You're right, of course -- if I needed to do the look-up
multiple times, the best thing is to build a dictionary.

Regards
   Oliver