TinyList

Kirk Bailey deliberatus at my995internet.com
Fri Nov 9 05:50:12 CET 2001

John Derrickson at PsyPlan wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> If I had registered TinyList as a trademark, we could have a conflict.
> But I didn't and don't intend to. Go ahead, use it for your program.
THANK YOU! :-)

> If
> you don't challenge me, I won't challenge you.

DONE DEAL.

> Tinylist sounds like a
> good name for your program. Besides, these are only program names. I
> assume you don't mind my ancient, functionally stabilized, TinyList
> program popping up in searches.

Not in the least.

> Actually, I'd be happy to list a link to
> your site at my site.

When there is a site for tiny list, that's fine, and recopical is an
idea. Something like 'if you were looking for the dos program to list
files to a printer, CLICK HERE. If you were looking for the Mail List
Manager, CLICK HERE.

> Python is an interesting language choice. Do you like it? Have you
> considered Perl or PHP? Will Tinylist be open source? When can I see it?
I am currently hosting a site for minorfish ( http://www.minorfish.org/
) a very nice mlm in perl, and perl drives me nuts. I want to add a
function and cannot grok how it works! Just one, but useful- a tag to
include in the footer file for a list. MF uses it's own tags in files
like we would do ssi in html pages. In fact, for the web pages they ARE
used as ssi! LEt me give you an example:

first , the actual output of a footer on a list hosted there:

+---FOOTER FILE TO HELP YOU USE MINORFISH-----Click [REPLY] to reply---+
| CLICK to Unsubscribe:                                                |
| mailto:minorfish at minorfish.org?subject=unsubscribe%20python101       |
| For help CLICK: mailto:minorfish at minorfish.org?subject=help          |
This list is hosted by a clench of chain smoking python hackers
at http://www.minorfish.org/cgi-bin/minorfish 'cause we can.

Underpowered by minorfish, the list server for some of us!
http://www.minorfish.org/

~/cgi-bin/fishstuff/schools/python101

and here is the entire footer file that produced this output:

"
+---FOOTER FILE TO HELP YOU USE MINORFISH-----Click [REPLY] to reply---+
| CLICK to Unsubscribe:                                                |
| mailto:minorfish@<!-- MINORFISH DOMAIN -->?subject=unsubscribe%20<!--
MINORFISH LIST -->       |
at http://www.<!-- MINORFISH DOMAIN -->/cgi-bin/minorfish 'cause we can.

Underpowered by minorfish, the list server for some of us!
http://www.minorfish.org/

~/cgi-bin/fishstuff/schools/<!-- MINORFISH LIST -->
"
(Quotes added, the file is everything BETWEEN them.)
Dig. All I rubbed was the number of spaces on line3 so the box lines up.
Had I not used a box, but a line, I could omit that action.

This functionalyity is so damn cool I want to duplicate and add to it.
Minorfish's creator has taken the idea of ssi and applied it to email
lists in effect, and I want to add a <minorfish exec cmd -->  and <!--
minorfish exec cgi=foo -->
To the thing. Alas, I do not control it, and the devloped is not too
enthused for the idea, so I need to write something totally new, and due
to ease of use, I chose python.

and as this is of some intrest to the python list, I am taking the
liberty of CC'ing it to that list also.