HOWTO: Programming S/MIME in Python with M2Crypto

Graeme Longman graeme at saebex.com
Tue Nov 27 01:48:44 EST 2001

Hi,

>From my understanding you don't need to make any changes to Outlook to
receive digitally signed mail.

I have been using your your HOWTO to generate the certificates and the mime
string of the signature. I have also managed to get the example, Sending
S/MIME messages via SMTP, working with Outlook. I can't seem to get the
earlier examples working though. I have tried fiddling with the mime string
before sending it via SMTP but haven't had much luck. The same error
message, "Can't open this item. An error occured in the underlying security
system" always seems to 'pop-up', even though the actual mime of the email
seems to correspond exactly to a working example.

I know that in the HOWTO you don't actually send the example in 'Sign' but
have you managed to send and receive this example. If you have successfully
then maybe it is the 'Outlook' issue.

Thanks for the help,

Graeme