Non-Indented python

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Nov 30 12:51:54 EST 2001

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:29:06 +0000 (UTC), Michael Abbott <michael at rcp.co.uk> pisze:

>> Just ban non-standard tab sizes and the problem is solved.
>
> Well, you have to ban something.

I'm banning non-standard tab sizes, nothing more.

> The problem with banning non-standard tab sizes is that as soon as
> someone makes a small mistake you can have a real mess to deal with.

I don't understand. What mistake? Well, if somebody breaks the single
rule I propose, the text might get screwed up. But no rule can protect
against ignoring that rule.

What problems could arise if the rule is followed?

> Unless you mandate that everyone runs the same editor as you do,
> tabs are going to trip you up.

Why?! Not at all! Any editor will do, as long as it treats tabs as
jump-to-next-multiple-of-8-columns (almost all do that or can do that).

> What is the point of using hard tabs, anyway?

Tradition. I don't use them but I see them in other people's files
very often.

> They simply add an invisible source of possible confusion.

There is no confusion if you keep the tab size constant.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/