The Ideals of a Python Hacker (was: Poll Results)

Bill Bell bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca
Fri Nov 30 07:30:02 EST 2001

Jonathan Gardner <jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> wrote, in part:
> [Python] really *is* easier, it really *is* useful, and it really
> *is* debuggable, so why would you want to use C++ when you have
> Python?

Amen!

> They'd have to be [young]. I can't seem to find a place to get paid to work in
> Python yet. I can't imagine a guy with 3 kids trying to make a living
> by programming python unless he is the rare guy that has a job in it.

AHEM!

I may be a statistical anomaly but I'm almost 55. I now have two
paying Python projects on the go. True, one is funded by a
university. However, the other one is for a purely commercial play.
The president of the company, like me, is a some breed of anarchist.

I plan to use Python to introduce some of the students in the one
and only MBA course that I do to concepts like threads and sockets
this winter. (The code is a lot easier to understand than equivalents
in most other languages.) And I believe I've influenced at least one
guy aged around 20 to take up this fantastic language. (He might
even be reading this when he is supposed to be doing his
schoolwork.)

It's amazing what one can do when one sits in front of a screen and
rests one's canes against a bookcase. :o)

Peace and bliss, eh.

Bill
"It is the time that you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."--St-Exupery