Request for Validation of Python as Development Language

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 09:01:31 EST 2001

"A. Keyton Weissinger" <keyton at weissinger.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1005625157.24434.python-list at python.org>...
> Does anyone have a more recent list of commercial products out there that
> use Python? I've heard the usual RedHat, Microsoft (nebulous), and Ultima
> Online. I'd like more.
>
> The information in the books and the python.org site is a bit dated.

Journyx
Webware for python.

In my last job, python is at the core of an internet-based ASP service
and an intranet version of the ASP service that is sold as a product
to post-production houses.  NDA applies here, but safe to say there
was nothing toy-like or trivial about our use of python.

I don't know how many "shrink-wrap" solutions that are based entirely
on python.  I think your more likely to find Python is used as part of
a multi-language code base for custom-built applications.  In my case,
most of my work has involved using Python to build a suite of
integrated tools to support GIS and environmental modeling
investigations that I was part of.  Using COM objects for GIS, I've
built front-ends in Python that access these COM objects and which
hand off a lot of the visualization, data-laundering, and reporting
stuff to standard python modules and extensions.  While some "core"
services were provided by COM objects, there was a substantial amount
of python code that supported all the steps in between such as data
laundering, storing/extracting the data from an RDBMS, restructuring
data for input to various models (often written in fortran),
reporting, data visualization, etc., etc.  For these situations, I'll
take Python anyday.  It may not be sexy but the reality is often that
not everything is nice and tidy.