And Now for Something Completely Different! (was: Monty Python (was: Freeware Python editor))

Gary Stephenson garys at ihug.com.au
Sun Nov 4 00:05:42 EST 2001

Gidday all!

> You're missing one important link that is well represented in the
> python-list archives: The Goon Show -- with Spike Milligan and
> Peter Sellars. The Goon Show was a BBC radio show that was the
> inspiration for Monty Python.
>
>  Spike Milligan beat out John Cleese for 1st place in the BBC's
> millenium poll of the top 10 funniest people:
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/millennium/aug/winner.stm>

The patriot (scoundrel??) in me wishes to point out that Spike was / is an
Australian - though I imagine many Brits would be somewhat upset to learn
this <g>.

He was also I believe the author of the immortal limerick:

    "There was a young man from Wooloomooloo (*)
    Whose limericks always finished on line two."

cheers,

gary

(* - or somewhere ending in "oo" - can't remember now)