Parser Generators: which is best?

Eric Eide eeide at cs.utah.edu
Wed Nov 14 11:12:46 EST 2001

"Nicola" == Nicola Musatti <objectway at divalsim.it> writes:

	Nicola> While searching for parser generators in Python I came across
	Nicola> Aaron Watters's kw(j)Parsing and John Aycock's SPARK. Before I
	Nicola> make my choice I'd like to know about experiences with these or
	Nicola> other tools.
	Nicola>
	Nicola> Keep in mind that I'm (still!) a Python beginner and that I'm
	Nicola> more interested in ease of use than performance.

Perhaps you would be interested in PLY: <http://systems.cs.uchicago.edu/ply/>.
>From the Web page:

	PLY is yet another implementation of lex and yacc for Python. [...]
	The original version of PLY was developed for an Introduction to
	Compilers course where students used it to build a compiler for a
	simple Pascal-like language.  [...]  Because of this, the current
	implementation has been extensively tested and debugged.  In addition,
	most of the API and error checking facilities have been adapted to
	address common usability problems.

Eric.