Python in a hospital application please help

geraldol at uai.com.br geraldol at uai.com.br
Sat Nov 10 13:00:39 EST 2001

Hi,

I want to write an application for the hospital I'm working to.

I'm newbie in python, and I want to hear some opinios about what are
the options I have..

The structure I have in mind is : At Server we will have an
application that handles business rules, connects to databases, and
send objects to the clients .

At client we will have an wxPython application that will talk to the
server application

Some things this application must provide

* Ability to change the database
  I think one way tho achieve this is via Object Relational mapper.
  Have anyone implemented a library like this in python ?

* Pool of connections.
  In the application I have today all clients have their own
connections to the database. Today I'm using Interbase (free one) but
what if the hospital need a commercial database in the future ? With
a pool of connection we can spent less money, and this is issue in a
hospital in little city of Brazil.

* The communication between the server and the client must be
encrypted.
  Personal information of the patients can't run unencrypted over the
wire.

I know that this is difficult application to write, so I want to hear
some design hints, what are the difficulties I'm going to face. What
libraries I can use.

Sorry my english and thanks in advance

Geraldo Lopes de Souza