Which Version for Absolut Beginner?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Nov 27 17:33:49 EST 2001

Fred Flintsone wrote:

> I did download the 2.1.1 but noticed afterwards a suggestion for me to
> d/l "ActiveState," which is a larger d/l, so I'm assuming it has
> important goodies bundled in it.  Before I get going here, should I
> uninstall 2.1.1 and go for the ActiveState d/l?  (This message refers
> to Gillou's post above.)

You can do that, but it's not necessary--the add-ons are also available as
a win32all package, which you should also be able to find at ActiveState's
website.  If you install win32all on top of your PythonLabs distribution,
the result is *almost* identical to having installed the ActiveState
distribution to begin with, and is probably a lot simpler than unistalling
the one and reinstalling the other.  ;)

I do highly recommend using the Windows extensions, though.  Having the
indexed, searchable .chm help files is *very* nice, and (IMHO) PythonWin
is a much more usable IDE than IDLE is  (IDLE being the default IDE that
is bundled in the base distribution).   Of course, the IDLE-fork project
may be changing this... but that's not standard, yet.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International