Python.NET, MONO and Visual Studio etc.

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Thu Nov 1 00:23:57 EST 2001

Xavier Defrang wrote:

> This is almost off-topic but since you guys are talking about that .NET
> thing, I'd like just to ask anyone in here : WHAT THE HELL IS .NET???

Microsoft, Oracle, Sun etc. sell to CIOs more than to individual
developers. So they invent overarching marketing names for a variety of
developments. .NET is the marketing name for most of Microsoft's
developments in the year 2001. .NET has a variety of themes and
components including the .NET framework which is a virtual machine
runtime not unlike the JVM. You've probably also heard about the new
.NET programming languages: C# and VB.NET. There are also tools for
working with web services. And there are actual web services run by
Microsoft. The IDE that allows you access to all of this stuff is Visual
Studio.NET.

 Paul Prescod