python vs ecmascript

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Fri Nov 16 17:27:23 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Peoter Veliki wrote:

> > > also a bit annoyed at some things like having to wrap objects in a str()
> > > before
> > > printing, I don't see why this can't be automatic.
> >
> > Since when?  The print statement automatically invokes str() on its
> arguments.
> > From the documentation:
>
> I'm using Python 2.0 at the moment (it is necessary as it is integrated
> into another product), perhaps this limitation was removed in later
> versions.  If I try to do this:
>
> print "integer i = " + i
>
> it will barf on this and tell me that i is not a string, I must do this:
>
> print "integer i = " + str(i)

You don't need the 'str' -- you can do:

	print "integer i =", i

print doesn't require the 'str' : '+' does!

string concatenation and integer addition don't mix, and it's not
exactly clear what an expression like:  "6" + 2
ought to yield: "62" or 62 or 8 or "8" ?

Labeling ambiguous statements as an error makes for stronger
typing than auto-magic conversions.

[ I still think it was a mistake to use the same token for both
addition and concatenation, but it's too late to fix that glitch! ]

-- Steve Majewski