python-mode for Emacs 21.1?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Tue Nov 6 02:27:33 EST 2001

[Someone asked]
> I wonder why python-mode not in standard Emacs distro...

[Barry replied]
> Stupid licencing issues. :(
>
> Grab it from
>
>     http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/

[Paul Rubin jokingly asks, but without realizing it's a joke <wink>]
> Are you serious about the licensing issues?

Heh.  Barry and I tried for a couple of years to get the copyright on
python-mode assigned to the FSF.  Last I heard, I *thought* that finally
went through.  But I thought that several times over the years, and there
was always some new objection to overcome (but, no, I don't know what the
current one may be).

> I just looked at that url and found no license mentioned.  Since it's
> at python.org I'm guessing it's under the Python license which is GPL-
> compatible since 2.0.1 or something like that, I thought.

The .el file still contains this, "the license" I originally slapped on it:

;; Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994  Tim Peters