How much is set in stone?

Roeland Rengelink r.b.rigilink at chello.nl
Sun Nov 4 07:30:05 EST 2001

Hi Jive,

Welcome to Python

Jive Dadson wrote:

> I'm a newbie at Python, but I've been up to my ears in it for the last
> couple of days. -- Considering using it for a scripting language for a
> product at work.  I'm very impressed with the system.  Of course there
> are things I would like to change. :-)  So the question is, how much is
> set in stone at this point?  Is the definition of 2.x now the law of the
> land, or can we still make suggestions?

Well, you can still make suggestions. There's even a formal procedure
for it. Look at http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/ for the Python
Enhancement Proposals. However, Python is over 10 years old, quite
mature, and does have a considerable user base, so you shouldn't expect
to get proposed changes accepted without some pretty convincing
arguments (i.e 'neat' won't cut it ;).

Hope this helps,

Roeland
r.b.rigilink at chello.nl

"Half of what I say is nonsense. Unfortunately I don't know which half"