[Q] Printing color strings on stdout without using escape sequences ?

Ivan DUTKA-MALEN dutka at edf.fr
Fri Nov 16 06:16:24 EST 2001

Hello,

for my application to be a bit more friendly, I want to show some
colored strings on the standard output but I don't want to use ugly
escape sequence like '\033[1m;' or so...

I'd prefer use a module (if one exists) that encapsulate all those
things and that allows me to be portable on various Unix-like systems
(especialy Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX).
Does anyone know such a module ?

For information, I tried to use curses but I think it doesn't make what
I want in the sense that it uses the full screen and I just want to use
the standard output stream. I may be wrong and I surely misuse it. Some
help will be much appreciated :-)).

Thanks
Ivan

--