PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

Paul Rubin phr-n2001d at nightsong.com
Thu Nov 22 12:02:54 EST 2001

"the Spinning Spider" <theSpinningSpider at HotMail.Com> writes:
> I notice there doesn't seem to be much mention about PHP by Python people
> whenever they mention other languages,
> e.g.,see http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html.
>
> Or is it because PHP is incomparable against Python?

PHP is generally thought of as a web page template system rather than
a general purpose programming language.  It's quite simple to learn
and use--simpler than Python in my opinion, especially if you're
already used to some languages with a C-like syntax.  However, PHP
doesn't do as much as Python.  Python tries to make difficult things
easy while making easy things stay fairly easy.  PHP isn't so great
for difficult things but makes easy things very very easy.  Java isn't
so bad for difficult things, but it makes easy things difficult ;-).

Anyway, yes, PHP is great if you're trying to write dynamic web pages
that fit a certain implementation style.  Python has a slightly steeper
learning curve but is more flexible.