IsPython really O-O?

James_Althoff at James_Althoff at
Mon Nov 12 20:17:44 CET 2001

Kent Smith wrote:
>A Smalltalk guru in our organization looked at Python last weekend (after
>had made a big scene saying that it may be a solution to some of our
>cross-platform issues) and came away saying that it was no more
>object-oriented than Java.  I sputtered around a bit but could hardly make

I worked in the LRG group (Learning Research Group, aka the Smalltalk team)
at Xerox PARC in the late seventies / early eighties under Alan Kay and
Adele Goldberg and helped design and implement the original Smalltalk-80.

Therefore, by the powers vested in me by no one in particular, I hereby
proclaim Python to be

"Plenty-good OO!"

Helpfully yours,