IsPython really O-O?

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Nov 11 23:24:24 EST 2001

[ followups set to comp.lang.smalltalk ]

Matt Gerrans <mgerrans at ix.netcom.com> graced us by uttering:
> Roy, I really would like to know why, specifically, your Smalltalk guru (snob,
> dare I say) thinks Java (especially) and Python are not OO.

[ snipped throwing down of gauntlet ]

Them 're fightin' w'rds.

If you really need to raise a discussion, the posters
comp.lang.smalltalk will be more than happy to tell you why it is that
you and hundreds of programming langauges are brain-dead for even
dreaming they could get to OO from where they started.

I, for one, have had this discussion a dozen times and have not
progressed any further in the latter 11 than I did in the first.

$ cat debate
#!/usr/local/bin/python

assert time is infinite
steve = Zealot(SmallTalk)
matt  = Advocate(Python)

while isinstance(steve, Zealot):
    try:
        matt.argue()
        if isconvinced(steve):
            break
        pigs.fly()
        steve.say("I'm not convinced.")
    except:
        steve.say("Hah! You can't prove it!")

$ chmod 700 debate
$ debate and echo "They all lived happily ever after."

Tim Hammerquist
--
As someone pointed out, you could have an attribute that says "optimize
the heck out of this routine", and your definition of heck would be a