Who can do genetic programming with Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Nov 23 20:00:46 EST 2001

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> You can probably do something about that making instructions cost
> something. :)

That would limit the lengths of the programs, but here the problem is
one of diversity and not length.  Without care eventually all the
programs in the population become degenerate versions of each other.

> Very interesting. Please do.

Sent.

> Hm, so what evolves? :) My system has the ability to fork as well (in
> fact that is a necessity).

Indeed.  There's actually a mutation factor which I neglected to
mention.

> A replicator exists in space on a grid,
> can move around and gather resources. Using the resources it can
> scan itself, copy itself to another area of the instruction string and
> finally create another processor for it and split off the offspring
> into
> another location. What evolves are generally systems to gather more
> resources and survive crowding conditions. A new 'organ' which
> consists
> of a doubly nested loop evolves which does that.

Jupiter on the other hand is very much like MARS or Tierra in terms of
being on a circular memory space with processes having private registers
and stacks, rather than taking place on a two-dimensional grid.

/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.