Non-Indented python

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wzdd at lardcave.net
Tue Nov 27 10:23:16 EST 2001

On 27 Nov, Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote in message
> news:slrna071tg.isc.qrczak at qrnik.zagroda...

>> What should a Python interpreter do with this?
>>
>> <TAB>if 0:
>> <TAB><TAB>print "0"
>> <SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE>print "1"
>
> Raise SyntaxError.
>
> Seriously.
>
> This would be consistent with general philosophy of not guessing in
> the face of ambiguity.

Insofar as my opinion makes any difference, I'd like to second that
suggestion. The huge tab/space war above notwithstanding, I think that
regardless of your preference, any file with mixed space/tab indenting
is inherently evil and will only cause pain. I was aimlessly toying with
the idea of writing a little utility to detect mixed space/tab indents
in files and setting it to run whenever I do a CVS checkout or update,
but I always welcome the opportunity to banish devilry on a more
far-reaching scale. :)

--
- Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale
http://www.lardcave.net