How to marshal a function?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 18:38:42 EST 2001

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 14:53, François Pinard wrote:

> I did not even try `pickle' for that, after the documentation (printed at
> 1.5.2 time) insists that `pickle' has no representation for code objects.

> If you examine `pc', you will have some difficulty to believe that it
> actually conveys the function definition.  It probably only holds a
> reference to the name.  Oh, it does works if I do everything in a single
> Python session, because `f' is already defined.  But if I save `pc' to
> disk and reload it in a fresh Python session, the `pickle.loads(pc)'
> yields:
>
>    SystemError: Failed to import class f from module __main__
>
> So, I would not think that `pickle' is a solution.

How embarrassing.  I dug around and found the code I had used, and sure
enough, I was using marshal.  Further, due to the way I was using the code
(the compiled bytecode was fairly self-contained) I never encountered the
limitations you mention.

Still, I think there must be a way around this... I will look further.

BTW, are you aware that you are double-posting?

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer