Benefits of moving from Python to Common Lisp?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 16:58:07 EST 2001

The Strout piece is pretty bad.

First, the whole idea of arbitrarily picking assessment categories and
then arbitrarily picking numbers 0 to 10 and then arbitrarily assigning
weight...fuggedaboutit.

Second, looks like the assessment was done by someone trying to justify
a switch to Python.

Third, no mention of performance, and "OO is outside the scope of this
evaluation"?!

fourth, Python syntax wins by 10 to 2 on syntax,producing half the
difference in the numeric ranking? Puh-leaze.

fifth, 30 points for open source? hello, CMUCL?

Python wins on expressiveness? Without macros?

I would go with the Norvig piece.

kenny
clinisys