Non-Indented python

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Thu Nov 29 13:29:18 EST 2001

Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> Chris Barker wrote:
> > Frankly, I wouldn't even care which,
> > although tabs may be a better choice because while "any decent editor"
> > can be taught to insert N spaces when a tab key is pressed, apparently
> > not all editors are "decent". I have found that using tabs for indenting
> > is the only viable option for me on the Mac, and I have to change to all
> > spaces when I move code to *nix/Windows, because the editors/IDEs I use
> > there assume spaces. A real pain.
>
> You are just using the wrong Windows editors/IDEs :)

Actually, I hardly ever use Windows, so I have yet to find the bet
editor for me, or figure out how to configure it. When I was doing a lot
of Mac/Linux work, I set up Xemacs to use only tabs. Unfortunately all
spaces is now the "official" standard, so using all tabs as my personal
standard ended up being a pain. The real problem here is with the Mac.
Anyway, that's why I advocate only one option being available.

Let's face it, indentation is part of Python syntax. Allowing spaces and
tabs (which really are different things, as Huaiyu so elequently pointed
out) be mixed is like a language allowing  either {} or [] or a mixture
of the two to be used to delimit blocks. If you used a font that
displayed them the same way, you wouldn't have  problem with that, but
who would think that was a good idea?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,