python editor poll

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Wed Nov 28 01:03:57 EST 2001

Jonathan Gardner <jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> graced us by uttering:
> I am curious as to what editors are being used to edit python. I get the
> feeling that most people who post here, especially the gurus, use *ahem*
> Vim *ahem*.

I'd actually gotten the opposite impression.  Most gurus who mention
their editors seem to use Emacs, and I believe Guido himself uses Emacs,
so...

I believe Emacs' superior python-mode may be due to this preference.

> Send an email with a subject of "python editor poll" and I'll do a quick
> tally and post the results tomorrow.

Um, Vim.  =)

> Please don't post your preference to this list, it tends to get exciting.

You wanna start a flame war?  Say you're a Vimmer _and_ a Perler! I
learned my lesson!

> * In case you're wondering what editor I use, let me just say that it works
> really well with the email client that sucks less than all the others.

Yes, I use the mutt+vim combo, myself.  You couldn't _pay_ me to change.

> * If you are still wondering, one of my projects at sourceforge is  called
> python-vim. (http://sf.net/projects/python-vim). I haven't uploaded
> anything because I am waiting for some advice from Bram on licensing.

I'm watching that project with great interest, especially after trying
the code you posted to vim-dev and comp.editors.  BTW, when you figure
out which license to you, would you either post the result to vim-dev or
email me?  I'd appreciate it.

And, again, my deepest apologies for confusing you with "Simon."

All the best,
Tim Hammerquist
--
Pride gets no pleasure out of having something,
only out of having more of it than the next man.