IsPython really O-O?

Adam Spitz adamspitz at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 15 11:00:43 EST 2001

Laura Creighton wrote:

> (I've always wanted to ask this:)
>
> The Design Patterns Smalltalk Companion (p 214) discussing Proxy states:
>
> 	'Since the problem lies in Proxy's subclass relation to
>          object, one way to solve it would be to dissolve this
>          relationship.  How is this possible? Subclass Proxy off nil'
>
> Do people actually do this.  Pardon this phrasing, but isn't it, ah,
> 'evil'? I'm way to scared to use it, though of course I had to write
> one just to see it.

Honestly? I have no idea. I've never done it myself. But then, that
doesn't mean much.

If it scares you, open up a workspace and play with the objects for a
while. Get your hands on them. Get comfortable with them. (You can do
this in Python, too, in interactive mode.) And write a bunch of unit
tests, while you're at it.

It still seems to me like it's pretty deep in the bag of tricks, but I
wouldn't be afraid to use it when I needed to.

Adam Spitz