Newbie question

flynt flynt at gmx.ch
Fri Nov 23 12:08:33 EST 2001

stephen cox wrote:

> I just started with Python. Have some basic questions. For work, I wanna
> develop some data entry screens for our sql server - so I assume there's a
> database library out there that gives me functions to connect to a sql
> server? Also, for the web, does Python run as a CGI with II5 or is there
> some dll that hooks into IIS5? Last question, does Zope need the zserver? I
> keep reading that it can run on any server but, I haven't found anything
> that tells me how to run it with IIS. Is it just a matter of running Python?
>
> --
> Stephen Cox
> web.net geek for non-profits, political campaigns, and a few socially
> conscious businesses.
> stephen at stephencox.org

Hello Stephen

For the database of course you can use the ODBC adapter, but I am not
aware of an adapter MS SQLServer (maybe the Sybase driver would do, as
it is basically a Sybase clone ?). Other may know better.

I can  give you some links to How-To's which deal with IIS and Zope
(personally I am working with Apache as IIS is a "non-disclosure"
security horror):

http://www.zope.org/Members/jephte/HOWTO/IIS_and_Zope_in_REMOTE_USER_mode
http://www.zope.org/Members/brianh/iis_howto

Zope comes along with its own http server. However you can use Zope also
via a cgi which is called *pcgi* or by hiding Zope behind a proxy.
Search for the term *pcgi* and for the term *proxy* on
http://www.zope.org/
in the search filed in the top bar.

In practise very often you will find Zope behind Apache (as a proxy)
indeed, instead of running standalone.

I know that these are only quite short hints, but maybe it will get you
started.

HTH

--- Flynt